What Is Schizophyllum SP?
Schizophyllum sp. is a genus of fungi that is very widespread, often found on rotting wood. In fact, it is perhaps the world’s most widespread fungus. This fungus emerges after rainy seasons that follow dry spells. It produces mushrooms that are sometimes collected due to their medicinal value and flavor profile.
History of Schizophyllum SP
This species of fungi was first described by Swedish scientist Elias Magnus Fries in 1815. The name has been proposed to be changed several times, but this has yet to occur. The term Schizophyllum is the neutral name, while Schizophyllus is the masculine name.
Symptoms of Diseases Caused By Schizophyllum SP
Infection originating from Schizophyllum sp. is very rare in humans. However, when it does occur, there are the following symptoms:
- Chronic sinusitis
- Allergic sinusitis
- Pulmonary disease
- Ulcerative lesions
- Atypical meningitis
- Cerebral abscesses
People who have a lowered immune system are more easily infected when the spores of the fungus are airborne. The paranasal sinuses are the most common way of infection.
How You Can Treat Schizophyllum SP
To get proper treatment for Schizophyllum sp., you can follow the similar guidelines for treating other types of inhaled fungal spores. This includes:
- Avoiding this fungus whenever you can
- Conduct a nasal rinse to remove the fungal spores out of your nose
- Take antihistamines to stop a runny nose and sneezing
- Take a decongestant nasal spray, or an oral decongestant, to reduce congestion
- Take nasal corticosteroids to lower inflammation in the body
If you need more long-term treatment, immunotherapy is one option you can talk to your doctor about. This will involve receiving multiple allergy shots over a few years. It is a very effective method that is helpful for some mold allergies.
Preventing a Schizophyllum sp. infection can be prevented by taking the following steps:
- Look for signs of water damage and mold.
- Get rid of mold and mildew as soon as it is visible.
- Utilize exhaust fans in places like the bathroom and kitchen or open windows for ventilation.
- Install a HEPA air purifier that removes fungal spores from the air.
- Apply mold inhibitors to walls and ceilings.
- Avoid the use of carpets in areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and basements.
- Get rid of old books and newspapers or place them in a low-humidity environment.
- Get rid of flood-damaged carpets.
- Close windows at night to prevent airborne spores from entering during the more damp evening.
- Wear a dust mask when gardening.
- Avoid going outdoors right after a rainstorm or damp weather due to high mold counts.
Since fungal infections can spread throughout the body and compromise the immune system, a cure may involve taking antifungal drugs to ensure breathing and circulation are improved. Treating the underlying symptoms helps effectively curing yourself of a fungal infection brought on by Schizophyllum sp. This fungus is more infectious than others, making speed in treatment essential to be cured.
How Alliance Enviro-Tech Can Help
You will want to ensure that you are not placing yourself at risk of succumbing to this fungal infection. It is important to be aware of all potential ways Schizophyllum sp. can spread in your home or office.
Alliance Enviro-Tech can disinfect both residential and commercial spaces thoroughly. Our Path-Guard® system and Path-Away Anti-Pathogenic Aerosol Solution® can kill Schizophyllum sp., as well as other bacteria and viruses, in under five minutes, giving you peace of mind to know your place is a healthier space. Contact us to learn more about how we can help.