What Is Pithomyces SP?

Pithomyces sp is a fungus that is commonly found outdoors. It likes to live in dark and damp environments, especially in soil and piles of dead organic matter. When it goes indoors, it tends to grow on damp paper, as well as ceiling tiles, carpeting, and mattress dust. Its spores can get airborne and potentially cause allergies. It is a slow-growing fungus that grows faster during warm and damp months, especially in the United States.

History of Pithomyces SP

This species of Pithomyces was discovered in 1874 by Miles Berkeley and Moses Ashley Curtis. It was also later independently named in 1914. Additionally, it is a species that was described by MB Ellis in 1965. There are no known subspecies.

Symptoms of Diseases Caused By Pithomyces SP

Pithomyces sp. is one of many species of Pithomyces fungus, which may include the following symptoms if exposed to:

  • Cough
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Wheezing
  • Headache
  • Runny nose
  • Nausea
  • Respiratory difficulties

Human infections are not a general concern. While none of these symptoms are necessarily dangerous on their own, if they linger, there may be long-term consequences, particularly for the respiratory system. Also, those with weaker immune systems are more susceptible to these symptoms.

How You Can Treat Pithomyces SP

To get proper treatment for Pithomyces sp., you can follow the similar guidelines for treating other types of inhaled fungal spores. This includes:

  • Avoiding this fungus whenever you can
  • Conduct a nasal rinse to remove the fungal spores out of your nose
  • Take antihistamines to stop a runny nose and sneezing
  • Take a decongestant nasal spray, or an oral decongestant, to reduce congestion
  • Take nasal corticosteroids to lower inflammation in the body

If you need more long-term treatment, immunotherapy is one option you can talk to your doctor about. This will involve receiving multiple allergy shots over a few years. It is a very effective method that is helpful for some mold allergies.

Prevention

Preventing a Pithomyces sp. fungal infection in the first place requires you to avoid indoor spaces that are perpetually damp and humid. If you cannot do so, due to the space being your home or office, you should check the humidity levels of the space and make sure it is no higher than 50% at any point in the day.

If the humidity levels go too high, place a dehumidifier in the rooms affected by high humidity.

Additionally, you can take the following steps:

  • Look for signs of water damage and mold.
  • Get rid of mold and mildew as soon as it is visible.
  • Utilize exhaust fans in places like the bathroom and kitchen or open windows for ventilation.
  • Install a HEPA air purifier that removes fungal spores from the air.
  • Apply mold inhibitors to walls and ceilings.
  • Avoid the use of carpets in areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and basements.
  • Get rid of old books and newspapers or place them in a low-humidity environment.
  • Get rid of flood-damaged carpets.
  • Close windows at night to prevent airborne spores from entering during the more damp evening.
  • Wear a dust mask when gardening.
  • Avoid going outdoors right after a rainstorm or damp weather due to high mold counts.

Cure

Since fungal infections can spread throughout the body and compromise the immune system, a cure may involve taking antifungal drugs to ensure breathing and circulation are improved. Treating the underlying symptoms helps effectively curing yourself of a fungal infection brought on by Pithomyces sp.

How Alliance Enviro-Tech Can Help

You will want to ensure that you are not placing yourself at risk of succumbing to this fungal infection. It is important to be aware of all potential ways Pithomyces sp. can spread in your home or office.

Alliance Enviro-Tech can disinfect both residential and commercial spaces thoroughly. Our Path-Guard® system and Path-Away Anti-Pathogenic Aerosol Solution® can kill Pithomyces sp, as well as other bacteria and viruses, in under five minutes, giving you peace of mind to know your place is a healthier space. Contact us to learn more about how we can help.